Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
On April 29, 2004 17:29, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

On Friday 30 April 2004 00:35, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:

On April 29, 2004 15:36, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

So was 10.0 CE using KDM by default? Or did MdkKDM have this
option and they took it out for the official release?

No, no, and no.

Kaj Haulrich.

Now ya got me confused again (not all that hard to do).

In 10.0 CE, I used whatever the default DM was (didn't even know
how to change it). This default DM had the option to login as
root.

Now I'm in 10.0 Official, and still using the default DM, which
is MdkKDM. The option to login as root is gone.

So either they took the option out of MdkKDM between CE and
Official, or I wasn't using MdkKDM before. One of these must be
true. They can't both be false.

True.

But what's your problem ? - Aside from your excellent, boolean
logic, why not just change your display manager ? - And, I agree
with your previous statements about "root warnings".

Kaj Haulrich.

No problem really, other than my own curiosity. I don't like unexplained changes. I also don't like having useful options taken away from me. I'd like to know exactly what was changed between releases. They should have at least noted such a change in the release notes (I thought that's what they were for). But I guess it is what it is, and I'll just leave it at that. No point wasting anymore bandwidth on it.

Ron; Pardon me for jumping in at this point, but if I understand your problem correctly, you aren't seeing the "root" user in your login panel? Is that what the problem is?

If so, get back to me, because this is an easy fix. I've been seeing this for quite sometime now. I'm under the impression that Mandrake has done this on purpose to deter a newbie from logging in as root. I think they've done this as a security precaution.

Let me know if that's what's causing you the grief.

Lanman