According to the linux ntfs driver project
(http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net), you can write to NTFS partitions as long
as the filesize is >512b and you don't change the file size, but they caution
it's experimental.  There's another project, captive, that seeks a similar
goal (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/).  It has been reported
to allow write access to NTFS partitions used by WinXP, but not those used by
NT and W2K.  Don't know how reliable it is.
I have an ext3 partition that I share between W2K and linux.  On the w2k side
I use Paragon software's mount ntfs, a proprietary ext2/3 driver for win2k/XP
that allows full read/write access to ntfs partitions.  Using a fat32
partition also works, but requires periodic defragmenting, which ext2/3 are
not.
Finally for NTFS partitions on a remonte machine, use Samba and set up the Lin
box as a server.
HTH
Paul