On Tue, 04 May 2004 12:54, Marco Verheul wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I spend the entire evening trying to install a new soundcard on my Linux
> box. Unfortunately nothing happens yet. Does anybody know which is the
> best place to look for answers on this topic?
>
> Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster 4.1 Digital
> My box: Mandrake 9.1
>
> I tried the following sites for clues:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+
>Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k1
> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Hardware-HOWTO/sound.shtml
> http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/index.html
>
> It seems there is no easy way out and I really hate noodling around with
> hardware that won't run, so any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco

Hmm, I have a SB 5.1 Digital installed in one of my boxes, and remember
problems under Mdk 9.x, frustrated the heck out of me for weeks.  Finally
worked out that 9.x OSS drivers on their own were running the card in analog
mode, and I had my speakers hooked to the digital output.  A quick switch to
analog speakers fixed that but stopped my surround sound working.  I then
found the emu10k tools rpm which provides some tools to configure the card to
run in digital output mode and most things worked OK.  The ALSA drivers in
9.x I could never get to run properly.  I now have 10.0 OE on that box which
is now my server, and the latest ALSA drivers under kernel 2.6 seem to be OK
on it, but not having my 5.1 speakers on that box anymore I haven't tested it
fully.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John.