On Tuesday 04 May 2004 07:40 pm, Marc Resnick wrote:
> >>If I have a bunch of ogg files encoded at 192 kbps (average), and I want
> >> them to be at 128 kbps (average), is there a utility to do that directly
> >> instead of converting them back to wav and re-encoding them with oggenc.
> >>
> >>I want to do this because my cd/mp3 player only supports 96-160kbps vbr
> >> oggs.
> >
> >Yes, Sox.
> >http://sox.sourceforge.net/
> >
> >Sox is the ultimate swiss army knife of sound utils.
> >

> You'd get much better quality if you just re-ripped/encoded.

Yeah, I know and I would usually do so, but I bought a bunch of tracks from
audiolunchbbox (great site for indie music fans BTW, Ogg and mp3 format, no
drm) and the Oggs are Q6, and my iriver player only supports them at 96-160
vbr.  I can either convert the mp3's at 192 kbps average vbr to ogg, or
convert the higher quality oggs to a lower quality.  I think it will sound
better to go ogg to ogg instead of mp3 to ogg.
--
/g