Użytkownik Johan napisał:

Hi,

I installed a ready compiled kernel..but have nividia card.

Ok, it boots up to a command line login..after some screen on/off's.

Rebooting in original is ok.

Maybe I have to install some drivers on the new kernel..because its working on the old?

Is there a easy way..looking at some howto's seems that I must compile a kernel?

Please some pointers.
Thanks

You have to compile nvidia driver for a new kernel. Don't worry - it's quite easy:
1) Go to NVIDIA homepage (http://www.nvidia.com/). Download the latest Linux driver.
2) Install kernel source that matches your current kernel.
3) Go to init level 3. Make your downloaded NVIDIA package executable (chmod +x <name_of_package>).
4) Run your package as superuser. It should execute smoothly (and quickly).
5a) Modify /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to use the nvidia driver if necessary (that is, if it hasn't been done before).
5b) Modfy /etc/modules (or /etc/modprobe.preload if you use 2.6 kernel) to preload nvidia module ad each start of a system.
6) You can now test it by executing commands "modprobe nvidia" (loading the module to memory) and "service dm start" (starting X server). It should work well.
I hope it helps - my nvidia card (WinFastA360TDH with NVIDIA GeForce 5700 chip) works well on my machine.
One more thing - each time you update kernel or a XFree86 package (the one containing OpenGL libraries - because NVIDIA driver overrides them) you should do following steps:
1) Go to init level 3 (or just execute "service dm stop")
2) Uninstall NVIDIA driver (nvidia-installer --uninstall)
3) Install updated package (if it is kernel, installation of its source and a reboot to use a new one is necessary).
4) Install NVIDIA driver.
If your want just to update driver, run "nvidia-installer --update" as superuser when connected to Internet.

Wojciech Podgórni
PS. For club users there is downloadable NVIDIA package with precompiled drivers (but I am not member, so I cannot help you with them).