On Wednesday 19 May 2004 08:16 pm, Asa Rossoff wrote:

> I've heard this rumor before, but I have never had any problems with mail
> delivery direct to various smtp servers as long as I had a fully-qualified
> domain name on my machine.  I am not aware of isp's that validate by
> reverse-lookup before accepting a connection, only of many isp's that check
> that your machine id's itself with a fully-qualified internet domain name.

Actually, the messages I originated to the Mandrake mailing list used to get
dumped into the bitbucket somewhere along the chain when I was originating
mail without a valid MX record matched to my domain name.  I simply don't see
that as a problem since dyndns.org offers free domain names, dynamic dns and
allows you to specify an MX record, all with dynamic ip addresses and you
don't even have to pay for it.  Failure to have a valid MX record for reverse
dns is simply laziness on the originating server's end and if they get mail
rejected because of it, they only have themselves to blame.

> I could be wrong, since I don't handle huge volumes of mail, just personal
> correspondence, but in that, I have had no problems.

Some admins also reject mail from any IP range that is specified by the ISP as
dynamically assigned.  I also never had mail messages rejected for that but
have heard of others who did.  All depends on how strict the mail admin is
about who he accepts packets from.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer