On Friday 21 May 2004 11:16, van Dyk, Wikus wrote:
> Hallo everyone ,
>
> I just got Mandrake 10 and want to test it as a good alternative to
> Windows. However , I got the download version and don't have any
> Manuals or documentation for it. I want to ask 2 things :
>
> - I am struggling to configure my SAMBA server. I use the wizard and
> when
> I enter the read and write user and press next it doesn't want to
> continue
> And keeps highlighting the user names. Does anybody know what I am doing
> wrong?
>
> - And can anybody tell me where on the net can I find good complete
> Mandrake 10 documentation or manuals ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Wikus Van Dyk
Welcome

Manuals are available online at
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fdoc.php3
You will also find manuals for heaps of applications at /usr/share/doc on your
computer.
You will also fine the 'man' command incredibly useful. Open a terminal and
type 'man command_name'  and you get detailed instructions on the usage of
that command.

As for Samba the Wizard has a bug in it. If you tick the box for 'Enable
public file sharing area' then the wizard will not progress past the name
selection.  (There is a bug report open for it)
If you do not select the public area tick box, it will work OK.

You might like to install the ksambaplugin package using your Software Install
GUI, the KDE Control Centre (Menu>System>Configuration>Configuredesktop) will
contain a new page in Network>SambaConfiguration  This allows finer control
than the Mandrake Wizard.

You should also at least read the text configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf
In Linux all configuration is by text files, there is no registry (Hooray!)
when you use a Wizard or a GUI it will edit this text file. The Samba default
text configuration file is full of explanations and sample configurations
which will be very useful to you.
After making any change to samba configuration restart samba with
service smb restart
in a root terminal, or use the GUI in Mandrake Control Centre>System>Services
to restart Samba.

When using Samba you should bear in mind that if you have enabled the
firewall, then Samba traffic is blocked by default, both to the interface to
the Internet, and the interface to your local network.
 You will either have to open ports 137,138,139 to the local network, or
disable the firewall. And of course no way should you allow Windows
networking to get out onto the Internet. (Unless you want people looking at
your files)

HTH

derek
--