On Thursday 20 May 2004 09:36 pm, Ramon PS wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I couldn't enable ACPI on my recently installed
> Mandrake Linux Community 10.0. In Grub I have tried
> some options, namely:
>
> acpi=on
> apm=off acpi=on
> acpi=force

    The first one, acpi=on, is an invalid parameter.
    The second, if you infact did use them together has the affect
                of acpi=off
    The third is to be used cautiously.

     Simply having no acpi statement in kernel parameters should
enable acpi as it's the kernel default.

> However, the kernel hangs and issues the follwoing
> message:
>
> ACPI: subsystem revision 20040211
> spurious 8295A interrupt: IRQ7
> looking for DSDT in initrd ... not found!
> ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Level Trigger
>
> The only option accepted at boot time is acpi=ht,
> but neither acpi nor acpid are running, and the cpu's
> fan noise bothers a lot!

     acpi=ht  turns off acpi, but allows for hyperthreading
(Pentium 4's).

    If you have kernel-source installed read

tom $ locate kernel-parameters.txt
/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.tmb.1mdk/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    for listing and explaination of valid kernel parameters. IE

acpi=      [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
   Format: { force | off | ht | strict }
     force -- enables ACPI for systems with default off
     off -- disabled ACPI for systems with default on
     ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper Threading
     strict --  Be less tolerant of platforms that are not
                strictly ACPI specification compliant.

                        See also Documentation/pm.txt.

> My machine is an HP Pavillion ZE4430US, CPU is an
> AMD Mobile 4 2400+ (1,8GHz).
>
> Any tips would very much appreciated.
>
> Regards, -rps

      I know nothin of laptops other than not all laptops support
acpi as used in Linux kernels.  So your search should be whether
your Pavillion does or not.    ... or just try it. Remove any
acpi reference in grub, and check /var/log/dmesg after boot (if
you can).

tom # cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i acpi
 BIOS-e820: 000000001fffc000 - 000000001ffff000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 000000001ffff000 - 0000000020000000 (ACPI NVS)
ACPI: RSDP (v000 ASUS) @ 0x000f62a

     (snip)

PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
apm: overridden by ACPI.
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American