On May 21, 2004 04:01 am, Dexter N Muir wrote:
> Hi all
>
>    I have Mandrake 10.0 Community, and am installing to my hp pavilion
> 713a.  It has a Microstar MS-6577 ver.1 motherboard, with onboard LAN.
> This is a Realtek 8139, and it works fine under the preloaded winXP.  It
> will not work at all under Mandrake 10.0.  I have disabled it in BIOS,
> and installed a Realtek 8029 card, and I can get a semblance of
> operability from this.
>
>    The 8029 card says [FAILED] on bootup, but the Internet services
> started at boot say [OK].  Running the Configuration tool (KDE desktop)
> allows me to configure the Internet using the Realtek 8029 (to ADSL
> Hub), but NOT to configure the LAN connection - what is the difference,
> and does it matter?  I seem to be able to mount Windows shares on other
> machines on my net using Samba, so something must be working.
>
>    Running the Configuration tool with the 8139 enabled results in a
> long-time hang in the system (both during configuration and at bootup),
> and no functionality at all.
>
>    I'd rather use the 8139 if I can - the 8029 uses a PCI slot.  Is
> there an option I can pass to the driver to get this working? or is this
> just another hp standard that is non-standard? (I've encountered
> countless of these, right back since the mid-'80's :-)
>
>    I've got similar problems with the sound (Avance AC97), but that's
> another story...
>
> Hopefully...
> Dex

A couple of things come to mind here.  The first one is, with two NIC cards my
card configured for DHCP, the one pointed to my ADSL, always comes up just
fine.  The one pointing to my network, the only fixed IP on my home network,
fails. Probably because it's loading before the network.

In any event, everything works when the system comes up so I'm not overly
concerned about it.

Sometimes it's all in the load order.

The other thing that may be doing it is that the NIC is coming up before the
Internet which may cause the same error to occur.

Anyway, some more information is required. :-)

ttfn

John