On Sunday 23 May 2004 00:42, murallo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm an improving newbie - that means I can do most of the things that linux
> deems to be essential like downloading weird libraries and recompiling
> kernels without having to ask too many questions from the helpful folk
> online.
> However I'd appreciate it anyone out there can answer this one. I have an
> internal linmodem (Intel v92ham) which I have installed sucessfully under
> several different linux releases using various 2.4 kernels including this
> one (slackware 9.1 with 2.4.22 kernel) But all attempts to run this modem
> with a 2.6 kernel seem doomed to failure. First the script only allows
> compilation with 2.4 kernels and second I think that 2.6 requires the
> resulting modules to be of type .ko.
> So, can I compile my old sources under 2.6 and convert them to .ko somehow?
> Can I get new sources compatible with 2.6?
> Do I buy a new modem?
> New system is mandrake 10 (from linux format magazine) with 2.6.3 kernel
> K7S5A board with athlon 2000 & 256 MB memory (onboard sound), GEForce
> FX5200, Dell 18" LCD
> And it all works a treat, except for that dratted modem
> Oh, and the scanner - but that's another story
> Best Regards
> Harry Anderson

I have the same modem, which worked fine under Mandrake 8.2 but doesn` t under
10.0. I posted to the linmodem list, and have copied the essential parts of
the thread below. Unfortunately, it doesn` t look very promising... I` m
using an external modem now.
I`d be pleased to be informed if anyone finds a better solution.
Kat

Peter,

kernel compilation will NOT help!!
Winmodem code comes with a pre-compiled component,
that is NOT being updated.  The HaM chipests will NEVER be functional under
Linux 2.6.3 code

MarvS

Many thanks for letting me know.
I`ll get by using an external modem until I learn kernel compilation then.

Kat