I had this experience yesterday and thought I'd throw out to the list how I
fixed it to.  Hopefully to save someone else the agony I went through.

I was adding an item to the KDE menu yesterday when I got interupped.  I had
already added the submenu.  I came back to the system and closed out
menudrake, forgetting I had a blank submenu sitting there.  Suddenly
nothing worked on the panel, my KDE Control Center was empty, and the popup
menu was missing most everything.  Needless to say I paniced.  I could
still pull up Mozilla so I went searching the archives for "missing menus"
Found the answer "update-menus -v" however, that kept erroring out.
Finally after studying the output of update-menus I figured out it was
telling me there was a blank menu entry that was screwing up everything.  I
reloaded menudrake from the CLI, removed the entry, reran update-menus and
everything was back as it was before.  So, lesson learned, if you put in a
menu entry, never leave it blank.  If you're not going to use it, delete
it.

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org