Marv Boyes wrote:

My apologies at the outset, since this has probably already been covered. I searched my local list archive back to 23 March, and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have no means of searching the archive site at the moment, so please forgive me if this is an oft-repeated question.

I would like to install 10.0 Official alongside my existing 9.2 installation (on a presently Mandrake 9.2-only hard drive). The 9.2 PowerPack has all the tools I need right now, but I'm dying to try the 2.6 kernel while waiting until a 10.2 (or so) release to purchase another PowerPack. Since I haven't been able to locate an official Mandrake version of the 2.6 kernel ready-made for 9.2 (if such a thing even exists), and the prospect of rolling my own 2.6 terrifies my inner newbie, it looks like the side-by-side full-install route is my only option.

I use GRUB as my bootloader (I don't trust LILO, as it once ate my partition table, and I prefer GRUB's relatively simple configurability). I would like to end up with full installations of 9.2 and 10.0, bootable from the GRUB menu. Can I simply run the 10.0 install and trust it to install its own copy of GRUB with 9.2 and 10.0 ready to go, or are there other things I need to take into consideration (and be prepared to deal with)?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated; thanks very much in advance.

Marv

Do you have a "Boot Partition" on your HD ?

If not then it's a bit more complicated, but not impossible.

However, since by the sound of it, you like me, will be installing more than one linux OS on the same HD, I would advise you to reinstall MD9.2 with a Boot partition, if you already haven't got one.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]