Thomas Wilkowski wrote:
I beliee that I can help or at point you in the right direction. First, it sounds to me as if you are using the oss driver for your sound card. That is ok but IMHO the alsa version is far superior. You can verify which driver you use by running harddrake from the control center, tab to sound card and run config.

That's the deal ... alsa /was/ running before, and is now crashing consistently. Config shows ALSA "snd-ali5451" ...

Next, verify that artsd, what controls the sound in the KDE desktop is set to use the same driver as you: eith ALSA or OSS. Go to configure desktop, look and feel, sound, sound system, tab hardware. Very intuitive when you get there.

Changing from OSS to either Autodetect or ALSA and applying brings up crash as before.

Next, and this is where I think your system got boinked, make sure that XMMS has the plug-in that supports the driver your sound card is using. Make sure that it is enabled and that all three: sound card, artsd, xmms are all set to use the same audio device and driver.

The odd thing is that xmms has been working all along, "out of the box" if you will, so I don't even know what it was set at before, since I didn't have to dink around with it. Currently, it will play if I select the OSS driver from within xmms plugins, but the System Notification sounds are borked/absent (except for new mail, it would seem).

Finally, to put your system back in order--Or perhaps you could start here--open konqueror and point your browser to /home/your_folder_name/.kde/share/config
(the dot in front of .kde is significant. Doted folders are hidden files) Once there open a file called "knotifyrc," without quotes of course. It will read something like this:
Misc
Exrternal player=
LastConfiguredApp=KDE.....
Use external player=false
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
Knotify Init=true
Use Arts=true
Focus on the second stanza. It should read like the above. If it is different change the false to true. Second stanza is the key don't worry about the first.

Arts Init and Use Arts both showed false; however, changing to true simply causes the KNotify crash to occur with startup/login.

        KNotify crashed while [sic] instantiating KNotify. Do you
        want to try again or disable aRts sound output?

Trying again means crashing again. If I look in Gnome sound settings it comes up saying that artsd is suspended.

Again, I'm totally at a loss at this kind of thing, and longing for the days of wizards and point and click, I must confess. I had much more free time then. :-)

Thanks, though.

Hope this helps and good luck.
tsw

*/Chuck MATTSEN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

    Have had no problems with sound throughout the day, receiving system
    notifications, listening to streaming audio off and on, etc. Just
    tried opening up xmms via Streamtuner, and received a crash
    notification:

    The application Sounderserver (artsd) crashed and caused
    the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)

    The backtrace is below (not that I understand a bit of it, of course)...

    Don't know where to begin troubleshooting this. (Oddly, the .wav
    notification for new mail continues to work, but xmms seems shot, and
    most other system sounds seem to be unavailable.)

    Any pointers/first steps appreciated. TIA

    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
    [New Thread 1083928512 (LWP 16173)]
    0xffffe410 in ?? ()
    #0 0xffffe410 in ?? ()
    #1 0xbffff508 in ?? ()
    #2 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    #3 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    #4 0x40664be3 in __waitpid_nocancel () from /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
    #5 0x0805f7a2 in Arts::CrashHandler::defaultCrashHandler (sig=11)
    at crashhandler.cc:215
    #6 0x40793718 in killpg () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    #7 0x401740bf in Arts::AudioIOALSA::open (this=) at audioioalsa9.cc:144
    #8 0x401672ed in Arts::AudioSubSystem::open (this=) at
    audiosubsys.cc:361
    #9 0x40167222 in Arts::AudioSubSystem::check (this=) at
    audiosubsys.cc:341
    #10 0x0805ea8d in main (argc=0, argv=0xbffff7f4) at artsd.cc:362

-- Chuck MATTSEN / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / Mahnomen, MN / RLU #346519
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Cooker) for i586 kernel 2.6.3-9mdk
00:35:00 up 8 min, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.45, 0.27

Random Thought/Quote for this Message: A bore is a man who, when asked how he is, tells you.