On Thursday 03 Jun 2004 21:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have mdk10 running on the machine now. Most things look okay (although
> as user I can't run OpenOffice install, but I saw a thread on that).
>
> Problem I face now: in gkrellm I see that there is an internet connect
> running. ifconfig tells me there is an IP address from DHCP, but I can't
> get on the net.
> Resolv.conf is created and looks fine, but nothing works. Not even a ping?
>
> Help?

Check your default route. In a root terminal type :-
route
The last item in the list is your default route. If that does not show your
Interface to the Internet, then that is your problem.
You can force an interface to be the default by editing /etc/sysconfig/network
and adding the line
GATEWAYDEV=eth0  (or whatever it is)

alternatively if you have a router or something, then declare that to be the
default route with
GATEWAY=ip_addy_of_router

The other possibility is your firewall. The Mandrake Installer is just as dumb
in 10.0 as in previous versions and will assume eth0 connects to the Internet
and eth1 (or ppp0) is your local network. Check /etc/shorewall/interfaces to
ensure the correct interface is assigned to zone 'net' Restart shorewall
after any change.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net