On Saturday 05 June 2004 05:06 am, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:06:08 -0400
>
> Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 June 2004 05:02 am, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> > > What progs are recommended for dvd viewing?  I know, I
> > > should have paid attention.
> >
> > Both mplayer and Xine will work fine.  Get the plugins from
> > PLF though so that you can get past the CSS encryption.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan Phinney
> > Software Test Engineer
>
> I am overwhelmed.  I took out the old drive, with instructions
> provided by the vender, plugged in the new drive, booted, ran
> automatic config prog (said ok), started kde, put in a dvd, and
> the movie came on the screen.
>
> I'm beginning to see why the newbie list is down to 100 a week
> instead of 100 a day.
>
> Noatun or somesuch started, so fiddling is in order, but I
> can't imagine that happening just a short time ago.
>
> Then I took out the dvd and put in an old 9.2 disk.  The drive
> immediately mounted. I clicked on the new icon and konq jumped
> up with the directory.
>
> I closed the directory and took the disk out. Drive unmounted
> and icon went back to iconland.
>
> Makes me want to change something else.  Right now.
>
> I do have a free CDRom drive available if anyone needs one.
> It's a Samsung cd-Master Model SN-124, very low mileage.
>
> If nobody wants it, I'll put in the closet with years of
> yesterday stuff waiting for somebody to break one before it's
> obsolete.
>
> Lee

      DVDroms are _very_expensive_ in my experience. My old CDrom
drive expired, so I replaced it with a Teac DVDrom, $36. Then
$400 of DVD's later ......  ;))))   Then I also need to replace a
perfectly good 17" CRT monitor (15.8" viewable), with a $650
19.3" viewable LCD monitor ;)))  Then I replaced a perfectly good
VCR with a $100 DVD/Vcr player for the TV, an bought a surround
sound speaker system for the TV. Similar to the one I already had
for the computer.  All in all I reckon that damn $36 CDrom to
DVDrom replacement cost me well over $1,200. I just gave the old
stuff to friends or Goodwill.

    Seriously tho

   I use    alias dvdp1='mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/scd0'
I also have dvdp2,3,4,5,6... to view other tracks on the DVD. This
is all with PLF-mdk versions of mplayer    http://plf.zarb.org/
Currently   mplayer-1.0-0.pre4.5plf

    Main reason I advocate usin mplayer on the CL is because,
unlike GUI's, contrast, brightness, tint, color levels, sound
volume are instantly adjustable on-the-fly right from the
keyboard.  Just tap 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, or 9-0.  Some DVD's
start, the sound is goin, but the screen is completely black.
Tapping the 'f' key twice immediately restores full screen video.
Plus no damn GUI window frame.  Just tap the Space-bar to pause,
arrow keys (<- or ->) will goback or advance the movie.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American