Ken Walker wrote:
I'm trying to set CUPS to print to an Epson inkjet and a HP Laser that are
connected to a D-Link 3 port ( 2 parallel and 1 serial ) print server.

I know the server name is

Print_Server

I can see this in a windows NWNH ( after I installed NetBEUI ), but a
smbclient to the workgroup Master shows up all the workgroup workstations but not the print server.

I also know the 3 ports on the print server are called

PS-D10D8B-P1
PS-D10D8B-P2
PS-D10D8B-S1

and a nmap to that print server gives

Port            State           Service
21/tcp  open            ftp
25/tcp  open            telnet
515/tcp open            printer

What do I choose for the connection type ?

Printer on remote lpd server
Network printer tcp/socket
Printer on SMB/Windows server
Enter a Printer device url

Has anybody got one of these working with CUPS ?

Many thanks

Ken ( currently printerless :o)

Ken; I've had some pretty good success with GNet print servers by doing the following;

On your Linux system(s), add an entry to the "/etc/hosts" file that says;

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX Print_Server

where the "XXX" notation gets replaced by the IP address of the D-Link print server. I also suggest that you replace the capital "P" & "S" in the name of the "Print_Server" with lower-case letters. Linux seems to prefer that.

You should try accessing the print server using LPD if it supports that protocol. Once you've modified your hosts file, try setting up the printer & server using MCC's printer wizard. Use the same name that you entered into the hosts file ( Which should be identical to the name entered into the print-server itself. IIRC, D-Link has a web-based interface that you can use to manage the unit and change the name to all lower case.

Once MCC finds the print server, it should also show you the connected printers. If that doesn't work, check the Windows Print sharing and NetBios setting of the print server. If it gives you an option for the workgroup name, change that to the workgroup that your network is currently using, and try MCC's Printer Wizard with a search for a Windows/Samba printer.

Let us know how that goes.

HTH

Lanman