I have the same nForce N2 sound chip as you and I use alsa with aRts and the i8x0 sound setting. It works for me if not entirely well.
I also have alsamixer and kmix installed, for some reason when I had aumix installed as well I had some problems with sound levels in some channels and setting, that may be me, but it may not be me, I don't know.
The quality of the sound is not that good in demanding situations like listening to good quality audio CD's and some DVD's but works well enough in general situations.
John

Travis Crook wrote:

Hi All,
        I've been following the other sound problem threads and can't solve
this little problem.

Here is the situation:
        Hardware: Abit nv7-133r, nVidia GeForce3 ti200, 512MB RAM, nforce
chipset, Athlon XP1500+
        Problem: NO SOUND (AUAUAUAGGHHH!)

I get the following error when running XMMS, etc. (no matter which sound
plugin I use).
        "Couldn't open audio
        Please check that:
        Your soundcard is configured properly
        You hae the correct output plugin selected
        No other program is blocking the soundcard"

I start up MCC and go to the hardware section. It lists my sound card
as an nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby Digital) (which is
correct). The driver is the i810_Audio driver (which is correct). It
states, "Here you can select an alternative driver (either OSS or ALSA_
for your sound card (Nvidia Corporation|nForce Audio Code Interface). Your card currently use the OSS "i810_audio" driver (default driver for
your card is "i810_audio")"

Is this a problem between OSS and ALSA? If so, how do I change/fix it? Which is better? Below my sig is the output from the troubleshooting
commands in MCC.

Thanks a bunch!

Travis Crook
Visions Beyond
www.VisionsBeyond.com
208-478-7836

When I run the following "Sound Trouble Shooting" commands from the MCC this is what I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO

unknown         : Nvidia Corporation|nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit
(Dolby Digital) [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b0 subv:10de
subd:0c11)
i810_audio      : Nvidia Corporation|nForce Audio Codec Interface
[MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b1 subv:147b subd:0000)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipaq                   11092  0
usbserial              29232  1 ipaq
nls_cp437               5568  6
smbfs                  62872  7
agpgart                31016  0
nvidia               2068232  12
isofs                  33912  0
zlib_inflate           22656  1 isofs
sg                     38044  0
st                     38616  0
sr_mod                 17028  0
sd_mod                 16832  0
scsi_mod              114648  4 sg,st,sr_mod,sd_mod
md5                     3872  1
ipv6                  232352  8
i810_audio             31860  1
ac97_codec             17804  1 i810_audio
soundcore               9248  2 i810_audio
af_packet              20520  0
raw                     7616  1
ide-floppy             18752  0
ide-tape               34864  0
ide-cd                 40548  0
cdrom                  37184  2 sr_mod,ide-cd
floppy                 59444  0
8139too                23712  0
mii                     4992  1 8139too
forcedeth              14304  0
nls_iso8859-1           3904  9
nls_cp850               4736  3
vfat                   13760  3
fat                    45120  1 vfat
supermount             37876  1
ehci-hcd               24196  0
joydev                 10240  0
tsdev                   7168  0
evdev                   9504  0
usbmouse                5216  0
hid                    53312  0
uhci-hcd               29104  0
ohci-hcd               18692  0
usbcore                99132  9
ipaq,usbserial,ehci-hcd,usbmouse,hid,uhci-hcd,ohci-hcd
rtc                    11576  0
ext3                  110408  2
jbd                    54328  1 ext3

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# /sbin/chkconfig --list sound
sound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# aumix -q vol 90, 90 pcm 67, 67 speaker 67, 67 line 67, 67, P mic 0, 0, P cd 67, 67, R igain 67, 67, P line1 67, 67, P phin 67, 67, P phout 67, 67 video 67, 67, P

[EMAIL PROTECTED] quickbeam]# /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp
                    USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/dsp             quickbeam  26933 f....  artsd

John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]