On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:26:26 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> RickS wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I cannot login as my normal user to any window manager or even at   > > init 3 but
> > if I su to ricks
> >
> > [bash 09:31 PM] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:ricks]$ su ricks
> > [bash 09:31 PM] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/ricks]$ ll
> >
> > it will let me login but running an app ...
> >
> > [bash 09:31 PM] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/ricks]$ sylpheed
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
> >

> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
> >
> > or even this
> > [bash 09:40 PM] [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/ricks]$ opera
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
> >
> > opera: cannot connect to X server :0
> >

> > Any ideas how to fix this ?
> >

> > RickS
> >
> > It sounds like you have two seperate problems here.  I'll take a    > > stab at
> > the easy one first.  If you are starting X as root, you    > > will not be able
> > to run X programs as a normal user.

Thx .. makes sense to me 8)

> Now, as for not being able to log in as a normal user, if would be
> helpfull to know what kind of error message.  Without that, the only
> thing I can think of is to check /etc, and see if there is a "nologin" > file.  This
> file is normaly created when you use shutdown with a delay > time, and prevents
> normal users from logging in.  If this file is      > still there for some reasion,
> deleting it will allow normal logins     > again.
>
> Mikkel
thx Mikkel,
There wasnt a nologin file in /etc .. and I can't find any error messages .. ?? or
nothing in the logs ..
I reboot and autologin doesn't work so it dumps back to login and thats where I would
login to root. I also added a user that can access and start kde or fluxbox with no
problems ...

jus not sure where to look anymore ?

RickS