Thanks John and Seve. I ran sndconfig; It said it didn't find any PNP devices, even
though I
have a standard Sound Blaster Pro PNP card. But I was able to select it from the list,
which
contained 3 entrys for SB. It tested the card, and it was able to play sound clips.
The mixer
program now runs, but sound still doesn't work in Xwin.  In KDE & Genome, when I try
to setup
system sounds, nothing happens. The default beep test button only makes the simple
internal
pc-speaker respond. Yet, when the system starts, it starts the sound server and the
speakers
make a brief pop sound. So I tried the "chmod a +rw /dev/mixer" command in the
terminal, and
it said "invalid mode". Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to try. Thanks.

At 10/31/1999 12:04:00 PM you wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, you wrote:
>> What do I need to do to get sound working?
>> It gives a sound mixer error, and says to type: "a+rw /dev/mixer " with
>> a tiny, tiny x behind and above the last r. It says to do this in root,
>> I assume in the console. I tried it in root, except I had no idea how to
>> recreate that tiny x. All I get is an error message - command not found,
>> or something like that. I have a Sound Blaster card. Thanks.
>>
>What you need to do is type "chmod a +rw /dev/mixer" Also, make sure
>you have sound enabled. Did you ever run "snconfig"?? That's how you
>set up your sound system-wide in Linux, although you may still need
>to chmod the mixer...
>       John

Regards,
Steve Leseman