On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 12:19, Alastair Fay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been digging around on the net for HOW-TOs
> regarding recompiling the kernel (2.6 - CE, not
> Official)... I have found some, but they were not of
> any help. I get errors regarding initrd or something.
> When I get back home, I will try a re-compile, and
> report the errors...
>
> Anyone been able to recompile with no problems on the
> following h/w?
>
> XP2400, KT400 (MSI KT4-Ultra), 768MB DDR PC2700, 200Gb
> Maxtor, 9800 Pro
>
> Thanks in advance :)

If you get this error when you are trying to boot your new kernel, then
you won't need to recompile the kernel, luckily. You just have to make
an initrd image file. To do this, boot into a useable kernel and open a
terminal as root. Type in the following command: "mkinitrd
the directory in /lib/modules that contains the modules for the kernel
you compiled. When this command is done, edit your lilo.conf to use that
initrd image file.

image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.3
        label="linux2.6.3"
        root=/dev/hdc5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3.img
        append="noapic nolapic devfs=nomount mem=nopentium hdb=ide-cd
hdd=ide-cd acpi=off"
        vga=788
        read-only

That for example is a stanza for a kernel I compiled. Run lilo and try
your new kernel again.

HTH,
John Drouhard