On Sunday 20 June 2004 16:52, Josenildo Marques wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I think the nVidia driver install didn't go so well after all,
> although I'm not sure of what this message means.
>
> nvidia: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
> nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-5336
> Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004
>
> Any help appreciated.
> TIA

"kernel tainted" 'just' means that you have inserted a non GPL module in
the kernel. Since the running kernel isn't open source anymore only
nvidia can debug problems. AFAIK kernel developers refuse to work on
problems when the kernel is tainted, even if the problem seems
unrelated to the proprietary module.

HTH,

    -Frans