james fei wrote:
thank you for your answer. first,I use the dhcp to get ip address; seond, the resovl.conf now is: nameserver 192.168.2.1// this is ip of
router search localhost It is a great idea to use another profile for
home.I will try. But I was still puzzled.which part the route changed
except the resolv.conf? could you give me a list of setting file of
this problem? thank you!

James

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mikkel L.
Ellertson Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 1:14 AM To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [newbie] can not go through
the NAT router

xin fei wrote:

I got a weird problem. I install a md10 in my dell notebook.It can brower the internet at home through a SMC NAT router.but after I
bring it to my office and visit internet through another Router, it
did not work when I back home.I can reach the router but can not go
through it. I didnot change any default setting. I can make sure
the router at home is work. Does it means MD10 change the route set
by it self? how can I change it back? thanks a lot!

james

Are you using DHCP to set the IP address of the Linux box?

What does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" give for an output?

Is the problem that you can not reach the Internet at all, or that
you can only reach sites if you use the IP address instead of the
name? (If you do not know how to do this, the answer to the question
above may tell us.)

If you are using DHCP to set the IP address, then Linux will change
the route, and the name servers based on the information it gets from
the DHCP server. (Probably the router.) It should change again when
connecting to a different network. But it is possible that one
network provides more information then the other, and so not
everything changed back the way it should. (Net Profiles can help
here - you can have one profile for home, and one for work.)

Mikkel

Well, with DHCP the routes are not stored in any file.  Instead the
routing information is created from the information recieved.  The only
information that is actualy put in a file is the name server
information.  That is what is in /etc/resolv.conf.  If that information
is wrong, then the computer can not find the IP address that goes with a
domain name.

In this case, it looks like your router is set to act as a name server
for your local network. You can check if this is working by running "dig linux.org" and seeing what information you get back. If it gives you an IP address, then that is working fine. If it gives you an error, then the error message will help determin the problem.

ALso, if you would run "route -n", that will help also. You should be able to use DHCP at both locations without problems. One other thing that may be causing you problems are proxy settings. You probably don't use any at home, but if you do at work, then your web browser may be trying to use the proxy at work, and that will not work.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!