On Saturday 26 June 2004 06:14 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> I'm having some major problems with my sons 1.3 Duron powered Soyo setup.
> He's dual-booting Win98SE and v9.2 of Mandrake off an 80 gig Maxtor HD.
> He's got 384 megs of memory. I've had his system dual-booting with Win and
> Linux for about 2 years now - no major problems.
>
> About 2 weeks ago he told me he booted up but couldn't use his mouse.
> Logitech optical, USB model. I checked dmesg and there was a complaint
> about a USB dependency. I reran "depmod -a" and it seemed to fix it.
>
> About 3 days ago, he lost sound. He has onboard sound. I went thru the MCC
> and tried various things, finally having to force it to change to another
> driver and sound was returned. Next bootup, USB mouse services were lost
> again. This time, depmod -a did not fix it, complaining about a USB problem
> and /lib/2.4.xxx/kernel/sound/drivers/vx not being able to be used because
> I (root) didn't have permission. I've never seen or heard of this file
> before. So...I changed to that directory. No such file, can't rm it. Yet
> depmod -a insists its there. Finally, another failed attempt at depmod -a
> resulted in a *huge* list of failed dependencies. So...I attempted to boot
> into CD1 and do a rescue. This resulted in a kernel panic. Unable to
> proceed. Well, I thought I'll try the trick where you repair the system by
> reinstalling, just not picking all the packages that are already installed
> so it just fixes the base system. Fails at 2nd stage ramdisk. Well. I've
> got 10.0, boxed set, and everything important was backed up so I fdisked
> his Linux partition. I tried booting into 10.0 and and it failed, various
> times, at various ram disk stages. I tried booting with the 2nd CD and then
> switching, got a kernel panic a couple of times, and ram disk failures
> others. I tried rescue with disk 1 of 10.0 and got the same failures as
> 9.2. During all this time, Lilo was still functioning and we were able to
> boot fine into Windows (go figure the luck!). Finally, Lilo now reports a
> "time stamp mismatch" and nothing is bootable from his system, not Linux
> (even failsafe) or Windows.
>
> Because its showing the same symptoms with 10.0 and 9.2 (and remember that
> 9.2 had previously installed fine on this setup and been running since
> 9.2s' release) I'd lean towards a hardware problem.
>
> Other than that, at this point, I'm at a loss on how to proceed, short of
> dumping the HD and getting a new one (its not that old - about 1.5-2 yrs).
>
> Anyone have any useful suggestions, thoughts or ideas?
>
> Thanks gang.

I would definitely try another hard drive first, thats what it sounds like to
me.  I just bought a brand spanking new P4 3ghz 512mb ram 120 gb hard drive
several months ago, within the first week the hard drive went very similer
simtoms., they dont make em like they used to :-(

Reagards,
Dan Gordon

--
Sat Jun 26 18:37:08 EDT 2004
 18:37:08 up 12 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.08