On Tuesday 29 June 2004 03:41 pm, EE wrote:
> What are SMB and NMB services. Do I need them if I just want linux and a
> personal computer or can I remove them? How can I remove them?

SMB is the protocol for providing windows type shares to the network on a
Linux machine.  The smb service is not necessary to access windows shares,
just to create them, so if you have none, you don't need it.  NMB is a
related service that provides name info for the windows network.  They go
together.  SMB will not work properly without NMB and NMB is useless without
SMB.  The package name is samba, so if you don't want it installed, 'urpme
samba'
--
/g