On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:44 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:50 pm, RAT wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm totally new in Linux and kind of lost :)
> >>
> >> 1st - the modem in my laptop doesn't work. Ok, it's WinModem, but I
> >> search several forums and find some solutions. I've figured out
> >> that I have Conexant chipset and found a driver at
> >> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ but it's not for free and it
> >> doesn't even seems to work. Is there another driver for my modem
> >> which works?
> >>
> >> 2nd - my laptop has touchpad with scroll buttons. I also searched
> >> forums and I wasn't sucessful. I found a driver for my touchpad but
> >> it killed it so I had to go back to my PS2 driver. Any sugestions?
> >>
> >> Thx Radek
> >
> > I have an Acer 1355LC laptop, win modem of course and haven't yet
> > been able to compile the driver because it is running Mandrake 9.2
> > and this has no kernel source. Which I need to compile the driver and
> > I am on dialup, which is much like two tin cans with a string in the
> > middle connecting them. But worse, there is no serial port that will
> > allow connection of a hardware modem. So I have to keep it as dual
> > boot. Windows wins again for a while in this instance. I refuse to
> > pay for a driver when I have already paid for the modem with the
> > laptop, and the driver comes supplied for windows.
> >
> > I have also not been able to get the sound to work. Have found a
> > terrific howto for this laptop, but it needs a compiled kernel to
> > work.
>
> You may want to check to make sure what you need isn't already compiled
> as a module with the stock kernel.
>
> > The touchpad works a treat without any alterations, but I think that
> > that you can download a driver from the synaptics site I did this
> > just in case but didn't need it. Google for it as I have kept no
> > record of it.
> >
> > But possibly, you will also have to compile a kernel to get both the
> > modem driver and the touchpad driver to work. I actually think this
> > is a prerequisite for Linux.
>
> NO, compiling your own kernel is not a prerequisite for Linux.  While I
> have done it before to fine-tune a kernel for a specific machine, it is
> seldom necessary.  About the only thing I have to compile for is the
> PCMCIA SCSI card, because it is not susported in the 2.4.x kernels.
>
> > Good luck with it, just like the rest of us, don't give up. Keep
> > wearing away at it.
>
> If you realy want to compile your own, you will probably want to get the
> source for the latest kernel.  On a dialup, you may want to get
> Netscape's download manager, or wget for windows.  Both will let you
> resume abouted downloads.  For wget, take a look at:
>
> http://allserv.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/
>
> Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel, Konqueror also allows me to resume, but when the mirror site
doesn't drop me off, then my ISP runs out of the time it allows me to remain
connected, so its a drop off, resume. drop off, resume, reconnect, drop off,
resume ad infinitum, then can't connect to the mirror or something similar
then sometime later, try again, resume, drop off.

I hope to have, from the same friend that I have 9.2, Mandrake 10 in my hand
soon and hope the kernel source is on that DVD or CD, and then all will be
well???? I have never had any problems with Linux, three CD's are all I have
ever got in the past, and then download smaller apps from the net [ drop off,
resume, etc.. ] but never exposed a lappy to Linux before. The first time
that I could ever afford one, other than the first machine ever owned some 8
years ago, never even heard of Linux then. Windows 3.1 was the thing. 3
floppys to install it, what great wonder and joy. There is always something
to learn when you live in the third world part of a first world country.
There are others less fortunate though so I don't want to complain, other
than to our government who is after all responsible for the situation we live
in. But the population in the bush is to small to make an impact.

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524