Hoyt Bailey wrote:

On Friday 02 July 2004 23:28, Greg wrote

The bimetal strip is a switch not a resistor.

--
Regards;
Hoyt

If you put a resister in the circuit you will lower the wattage of

your heating element

Greg

Which will result in slower heating not a different temperature. The bimetal strip operates, because of a difference in the expansion rate of two metals, when the set temp is reached the contacts remove the power from the heating element. The original poster likely has the contacts welded togother, The only solutions practical are to replace the temp sensor or if accessable break the contacts and polish the surface this will last for a while (less time than the original).

Yes indeed, as soon as you all pointed that out to me I reliased my mistake.

Instead, I took the existing thermostat appart, which is as you say is a bi-metal strip controlled device, and overrid the device setting limiter ( merely a screw with limited capacity turns) and by removing the silly complicatted lever mechanism I was able to reset the thermostat exactly and precisely where I wanted it and all is working very well indeed for my purposes. The difficulty arrose , I believe , because as a chip pan fryer the thermostat was set to boil fat or oil which have higher poiling points than water. it was a bit trial and error setting the correct boiling point for water and I took a few risks with boiling water as the pan was poised delicately so I could also get my screwdriver undeneath to where the micrometer screw rests,but I did it nicely and all now functions just as I want it to.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm only a high school level person as to electro mechanical knowledge in general, but don't mind "having a go" in general, providing it's not too complicated.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]