eric jackson wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Richard Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] only about 1/2 my hard drive is recognised

eric jackson wrote:

Hi,

I just had a Maxtor Ultra Series 250 GB hard drive installed as a
slave. The box says it operates at 7200 RPM. It also says Ultra ATA/133.

Mandrake 10.0 recognizes it but it only shows about 129 GB. The
installation guide lists certain ATA cards that will only recognize
137 GB but the Ultra ATA 133 is not listed as having that restriction.

Anybody else using this drive? Does anyone have any clues why this is
happening?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Jackson

Mandrake 10.0 recognizes it but it only shows about 129 GB

Bios limitations ?

Yeah, I wondered about that myself. I can't seem to fnd that out from the
manuals that came with my Gateway.

What does your mobo manufacturer say the bios version limit on HD size is

? website

Again I can''t find that information in a manual but I will try to find the
website of the motherboard manufacturer. Thanks for the tip on where to
look.

You can often updated bios to recognise larger drives.

I'll try that.

Thanks.

Eric Jackson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Go to the mobo website and start digging , especially in the bios update sections, look up your bios version, and it invariable says something about having upgraded the bios to detect HD size XXXgigs, My bet is yours is 130Gigs, and then some time later they bring out a later bios vesion that upgrades it again to maybe 260Gigs and so on and so forth. You may be unlucky and no mention is made of the HD size limitation, if so you need to contact your mobo manufacturer support desk and ask them what the HD size limitations are on your bios version and can you upgrade.

Before you do though look up what the bios is saying about your HD size , if it sees it all it, it ain't a bios limitation, but if it sees 130G then I would think this is where to start.

Sometimes the OS itself has HD limitation but I don't think it is your case .

Some modern HD's also have a "cap limit" Jumper and yours may have it set up as limited to 130G, but that is a large "cap limit" in my experience. John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]