ok I have just downloaded the first cd in the mandrake 9.1 ppc set, I have tried to install it directly by holding down "c" at startup and also by using the script thing in the BootX folder of the cd. The only way I was able to get Mandrake to install was using a text install after holding down "c".

I have read that the newer hardware requires the benH version of the kernal, and I don't think that is what is installed with the text installer. When I tried to install using install-gui-benh the screen went blank after a few lines of code went by. when I tried the old gui option I get a blue screen that won't change. When I tried installing via text, I couldn't get the graphics part to test right using the KDE part. I am going out here I will give my stats because I am very new to this and have little to no idea what I am doing

G4 Dual 450
896 MB Ram
30 GB Hard Drive with a 5GB partition that is free space (that's what I was using for the swap and linux native parts)
Rage 128 Pro Graphics card
Apple Studio Display 17" max resolution of 1600 x 1200
millions of colors
internal zip 250
internal dvd-rom
external cd-rw usb
internal 56k modem

is this machine just too new to be used by linux? I had this same problem when I tried to install Debian 3.0r2 at startup the screen would just go blank like it turned off, and the only way I could install was by using the install24-safe option.
Oh yeah, when I use the "wrapper" I think it is called on the disk, the BootX thingy the computer restarts to a blank screen.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.
Mike