Lee Wiggers wrote:

Usually I feel pretty dumb around here.

I've been serving aeis.tv on Apache2 for about a year and just now
grasp the concept.

I'm going the next step with a mailserver and it'll probably be
another year before I grok that.

I have 7 users on a lan, 5 pop accounts with the cable isp, 5
accounts with mail.americanelevatorinspection.com, and I want to
narrow it down to a couple pop with the isp and everything else on
mail.aeis.tv.

1.  No-ip.com asks for an mx record.  Would that be mail.aeis.tv or
smtp.aeis.tv or something else?

(Enter the name of your external mail exchangers (mx records), as
hostnames not IP addresses.)

It is whatever you deside to call your mail server. If your mail goes to a mail outside your network, and then you get the mail from that machine, then that machine is the name you use. But with you running your own main server, it should probably be the name of your machine. (aeis.tv) If you want to use something like mail.aeis.tv, you will need to create a DNS record for it. Probably a cname record pointing to aeis.tv. But I would keep it simple and use aeis.tv.

I plan on following Derek's notes religiously when I think I can without mucking it up too bad.

TIA

Lee

You may also want to look into setting up fetchmail to grab mail from the accounts you have now, and delivering them to your local mail accounts as well.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!