On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 05:06, frankieh wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have not played with Java on linux till now, and I have been given a
> java application I need to install for a payment gateway client.
> (by payment gateway client I mean the application is part of the client
> side software required for the payment gateway to be used.)
>
> Anyway, long story short, this java app requires a java between 1.1 and
> 1.3.x (it doesn't work on 1.4 so I had to remove that first.)
> To that end I downloaded jdk1.3.1_11 rpm from Suns site and installed it
> on the machine. seemed to go fine.
>
> Then I put a shortcut to /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_11/bin/java into
> /usr/bin/java so that the system could see the binary.
> So far so good, giving a: java -version
> as root returns:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] fixit]# java -version
> java version "1.3.1_11"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_11-b02)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_11-b02, mixed mode)
>

> again, so far so good,
> but when I try to run the install bin file for the java app, I get this:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] fixit]# ./paymentclient_30.bin
> Preparing to install...
> tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
> Try `tail --help' for more information.
> ./paymentclient_30.bin: line 325: [: `)' expected, found -z
> WARNING! The amount of /tmp disk space required and/or available
> could not be determined.  The installation will be attempted anyway.
> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
>
> Launching installer...
>
> head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
> Try `head --help' for more information.
> /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_11/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading
> shared libraries: libjvm.so: cannot op
> en shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> The shared lib it is looking for is available in three places:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] fixit]# locate libjvm.so
> /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_11/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
> /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_11/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so
> /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_11/jre/lib/i386/classic/libjvm.so
>
> And yet it can't find any of them.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I might fix this?
>

> regards
>

> Franki

You're going to need to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf and include the lib
dirs in there and re-run ldconfig to rebuild the cache

stephen kuhn - proprietor

Once upon a time there was a beautiful young girl taking a stroll
through the woods. All at once she saw an extremely ugly bull frog
seated on a log and to her amazement the frog spoke to her. "Maiden,"
croaked the frog, "would you do me a favor? This will be hard for you to
believe, but I was once a handsome, charming prince and then a mean,
ugly old witch cast a spell over me and turned me into a frog." "Oh,
what a pity!", exclaimed the girl. "I'll do anything I can to help you
break such a spell." "Well," replied the frog, "the only way that this
spell can be taken away is for some lovely young woman to take me home
and let me spend the night under her pillow." The young girl took the
ugly frog home and placed him beneath her pillow that night when she
retired. When she awoke the next morning, sure enough, there beside her
in bed was a very young, handsome man, clearly of royal blood. And so
they lived happily ever after, except that to this day her father and
mother still don't believe her story.