On Friday 16 July 2004 21:56, Henriette Holm wrote:
> Now here comes the silly question (since I've never touched the
> kernel before). Do I just installed the rpm file and hope for the
> best, or? Step-by-step instructions, please :o)
>
> Thanks
> -Henriette

Henriette, there are no silly questions on this list.

The beauty of "urpmi" makes it a snap to install a new kernel :

1. Download the kernel you want form the above URL into some
directory,i.e. /home/henriette/downloads/kernel-2.6.4.blahblahblah.rpm
2. Open a terminal (console), and type : su
3. Give your root password. The prompt should change to #
4. Type : cd /home/henriette/downloads
5. Type : urpmi kernel(now, hit TAB) and check if it is the kernel
you want. If correct, hit ENTER
6. Relax and watch all the hashes (##############)
7. When the prompt reappears, you are done.

Now you have a new kernel alongside your old one(s), thus giving you
a choice at boot-time. If you want your new kernel as default when
booting your system, proceed as follows :

8. Still as root in the terminal, type : mcedit /etc/lilo.conf
(if you don't have mc (Midnight Commander) installed, use any text
editor of your liking, as root)
9. Scroll down, and take an exact note of your new kernels label
10. Scroll up again, and edit the *default* stanza to your new
kernels label.
11. Save your changes (in mc, press F2)
12. Exit your text editor (im mc press F10)
13. Still in the terminal (as root), type : lilo
14. Check the * (asterisk) at default (new kernel).
15. Type : exit (to become Henriette again)
16. Type : exit (to leave the terminal)
17. Reboot.

If all this is too obvious, I apologize : It is hard to know your
level of experience, but after all : this is a newbie list.

HTH
Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         *http://haulrich.net*