----- Original Message -----
From: Charlie Mahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:45:21 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] cdrom4 woes

> On Sunday 18 July 2004 08:25 am, Todd Slater wrote:
> <snip>
> > Josenildo, are you talking about installing Mandrake in general or Balsa
> > in particular? I installed 10.0 without a hitch, but there were many
> > apps i wanted to install that were on cd 4, so urpmi didn't work. I did
> > eventually find what I was looking for online, it just wasn't as
> > convenient as urpmi.
> >
> > Todd
>
> Sorry to butt in. Whatever apps are available from CD4, plus a lot more. are
> still available from the mirror sites and other locations. The exception is
> Club packages, you're on your own for those.
>
> Cancel CD4 during the installation, after the installation remove it from the
> list of package sources and add a "main" and a "contrib" source from one of
> the mirrors. urpmi will pull from whichever source it finds the package you
> want from first so that shouldn't hamper regular stuff available from the
> disks.
>
> The only packages I have had trouble installing during fresh installs recently
> were ones the CD drive couldn't read. Written at a conservative 18x on an
> A-Open 52x24x52, read for install in a new LG HL-DT-ST GCE-8525B.
>
> The new LG was trash. It happens.
>
> Regards;
> Charlie

Hey Charlie, thanks for the info. I just noted what you say
to be the case indeed. I was trying to install eslrahc.com's
k3b package and rpmdrake told me it couldn't unless I inserted
cdrom4. It needed libid3_3.8_3-3.8.3-6mdk, which it wanted
cdrom4 to access. I searched a main source mirror, and guess
what?......there was the libid3 I needed. Go figure.

Do the main mirrors have all of the packages from all 4 cd's?
Regards....take care.

--Angus

PS. I recently purchased a LG HL-DT-ST GCE-8525B. :-||
Mine seems to be working OK for my purposes though.

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 10.0~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~