Job Evers wrote:

I had a similar problem when I first started using pekwm.  Everytime I
fired up nautilus it also brought up the gnome background.  I discovered
that 'nautilus --no-desktop' fixes this problem.  I am not sure if
KDE/konquerer has a similar feature but it might be something to look
into.

Interesting...I looked into ksysguard, found that nautilus was running, killed it...and my normal desktop background is back!

What is doubly interesting is that nautilus was running at all - I have never used it, so it must have started itself! I wonder why...

Anyway, if it happens again, at least I know how to cure it - thanks!

Margot