Hello John,

Maybe your problem is with the ISP and the login prompts.

I haven't had time yet to work out my problem using Linux From Scratch 5.1, Wvdial, and my ISP; but here's what the ISP did for me to assist:
-------------
Instead of trying to login at the prompt, try just starting up ppp. I
changed your membership on the ppp authentication server from pppmenu
(login prompt) to ppponly so wvdial shouldn't try to interpret the login
prompt. I also found this, which also might alleviate the problem:

"Add the following line under the correct heading in your
/etc/wvdial.conf file:

     Stupid mode = 1 "

Apparently "stupid mode" tells wvdial to not login at the prompt and
skip directly to starting pppd.

When I dial in now, the connection is made and the PPP daemon is started. But then I don't know what to do ??? So the PPP daemon dies after a while. As I said, I'll work on that later.

Good Luck if you haven't got your connection working yet.
Stephen.