----- Original Message -----
From: Charlie Mahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:43:57 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] rpm build/checkinstall errors (solved)

> On July 25, 2004 11:10:11, Angus Auld wrote:
> <whack>
> > It appears that there is a problem with the checkinstall
> > package I was using. I installed the latest beta version,
> > "checkinstall-1.6.0-0.beta3.2mdk.i586", and then the
> > rebuilding went fine. :-)
> >
> > Now if I can only get apollon to work. :-|
> > Mandrake 10.0 is proving to be a challenge for
> > me thus far. It isn't nearly as stable as 9.2 was on
> > my Dell.
>
> A couple of questions Angus, since you prompted me to try to get Apollon
> working here when it wouldn't since the new machine was set up.
>
> What security level are you running? I ask because a customer system that I
> assembled yesterday running level "Standard" connects and shares files
> through Apollon.
>
> Your connection again? I'm on "Shaw High Speed Xtreme" and since I'm setting
> the application up and trying to make it work anything I suggest will have to
> be adapted to that difference, plus any relevant differences between Mandrake
> 10.0 and cooker. We can do this, it just may take a bit.
>
> > It also seems like things aren't as easy to find, and
> > to configure. I found 9.2 was a real rock solid version
> > for me on my hardware. I lost my previous installation due
> > to a failed harddrive, and after installing a new Maxtor 40GB,
> > I thought it would be good to go with the latest and
> > greatest version of Mandrake. It has been somewhat
> > of a letdown so far.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > --Angus
> >
> I'm not certain what the hold up is for you Angus. I've installed 10.0 on 6
> machines this past week, of that number 3 were for families that have rug
> rats that want to share their music with their friends. In all three cases
> Apollon initialized and ran without trouble. On your system and on mine there
> are difficulties. I know what may be the trouble with mine (it's cooked) but
> yours should have been simple.
>
> Since it seems as though you managed to get it installed, have you gone into
> the ~/.giFT directory and clicked on giftd.conf? Or started apollon from a
> terminal with the -v (verbose) flag? If you haven't done either take a look
> and post the results.
>
> I have Apollon starting at the moment but I keep getting time outs on the
> nodes during connection. I may have the security wound a little tight though
> so I'll have to check and open the default port (1213?) for it.
>
> When I find something else I'll post it.
>
> Charlie
>***************************************
Thanks for the feedback Charlie. I have managed to get apollon
working on my system.

The sticker for me was the Gnutella plugin. I compiled it w/o
trouble, but after I had installed it and set up giFT/apollon to
use it,  giFTd would not start when I opened apollon. I even
tried to start giFTd manually in a terminal.....no go. I got errors
having to do with the Gnutella plugin. I disabled Gnutella, voila!
OpenFT and FastTrack work fine.

What's going on with Gnutella? Have you been able to get it to
work for you?

I'm on a dialup here Charlie. :-(
My provider is Aliant. It was in the plans for us to have a DSL
system called Vibe, which should have been available this
spring/summer. Unfortunately Aliant is experiencing a workers
strike that has been dragging on for months now. Hopefully
the DSL will be soon to come.

I have my security level at the default setting.

Best regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 10.0~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~