I believe you set a date that restricts the length of time Kmail stores a email in a
folder before an automated deletion process takes place. Must be in the settings
someplace but as I don't use Kmail can't help there.

Hence it expires (i.e. ceases to exist, kicks the deleted bucket, runs out of time...)

--
  John Willby
  Registered Linux user number 321644