On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:36, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:07:09 +1000
> Stephen Kühn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Lee - the easiest - EASIEST way to configure Samba (and/or
> > add/remove users and all that fancy jazz) is to use Webmin and the
> > SWAT plugin in Webmin - not a joke.
>
> I know, Stephen, and I've done it like that before, but obviously
> didn't learn anything.  This time I'm going to understand it.
>
> I have 7 boxes here that I set up with a combination of webmin and
> luck before.  I never had full network communication between all
> boxes, but didn't care because I had the old original win2k box
> serving files to everyone and all was well.
>
> Well, that box crashed Sunday and I can't get it's replacement or
> the Linux boxes together because I didn't understand what put them
> together in the first place.
>
> Hell, I can't even add a smbuser.
>
> Lee

Ok - long and short of it is that you have to have the same users on the
network as you do on the linux box that you want to be the server; you
can setup the shares on the server in such a way as to either have them
protected by user authentication, domain authentication or share
authentication; I personally prefer share authentication as I have
customer machines that i back up to the server constantly, so domain or
user authentication means diddly to me here.

Another issue is having SWAT trim down your /etc/samba/smb.conf so that
you don't have to spend three days reading through it; and you can use
the functionality in Webmin to synchronise the users for unix=>samba
really easy...

If you tell more of the story, perchance that would give us more info to
set you straight?

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture
http://kma.0catch.com  :: mobile 0410.728.389
Serving Sydney, The Illawarra, South Coast and Rural NSW
  Mandrake GNU/Linux 10.0 OE/Kernel 2.6.3-7/ No Viruses here.

serendipity, n.: The process by which human knowledge is advanced.