On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:29 pm, Dan Gordon wrote:
> > > Hi Hoyt,
> > > No, there's nothing wrong with urpmi. The only problem is
> > > that using dialup connection, it takes forever to use
> > > urpmi, in other words... I have to pay a huge amount of
> > > internet and phone bills at the end of the month because of
> > > the online time I use for urpmi to the net. :((
> >
> > I guess I don't understand your ISP here in Oklahoma I can
> > get online dialup for 9.95 mo with no extra charges for time
> > used. DSL is 29.95.
>
> There are still some places that don't enjoy the benefit's of
> competion like we do.
>
> Regards,
> Dan Gordon

      The part y'all leave out is speed, so price quotes are
sort'a useless.  256k (down)/56k (up) aDSL is available here for
$21/month.  1.5Mb/256k aDSL is $49.  8Mb DSL (not asynchronous,
dedicated line, no phone) is near $180/mo, but only available to
businesses.  Several other options. Only with accounts more than
$49/mo. is the equipment free (ie, modem and NIC).

    To check your actual speed
     http://www.dslreports.com/stest

  My 1.5Mb (1500kbps) DSL  gets about 1278 kbps down, 214 kbps up
on a good day.

    Just like with dialup (56kbps), you'll never get the full
theoretical speed.   IOW's 1278 is about right for my 1500
connection.  And you can't divide by 8 (bits per byte) to get the
actual KiloBytes per second.  'urpmi' displays KB's/sec and I
generally get 155 to 160 K/s from mirrors.  I've got a newsgroup
feed that sometimes gets me near 170KB/s, but more often in the
165K/s range.  So a lot depens on the server to connect to, and
the hops in between.

    To put this in perspective, a good 56k dialup will yield about
4.7 K/s. So my DSL is about 35 times faster than the best dialup,
but for 4 times the cost.  On the plus side, aDSL has POTS (voice
phone line) piggybacked on and I can download at 160KB/s and
still talk on the phone.  Tho phone service is a separate charge,
just as it is with dialup.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American