Lee Wiggers wrote:
Okay, I'm one simple step from success.

All 7 boxes, mdk9.2,10.0, and win2k are all sharing files as smb
shares.  One box is set to force and win elections, but if it is
down I don't lose the rest.

Can I automount all shares at boot, or when smb service starts?

Lee

I am not sure exactly what you are asking here. If you want a machine to mount remote Samba shares when it boots, that is not problem. You do not need the smb service running on a machine to mount remote shates. If there is an entry in /etc/fstab for the share, the system will try to mount it. (Unless the mount is marked noauto.) The bad part if that if the server is down, you will get a delay while booting, while mount times out. You get the same delay with NFS mounted shares.

If what you are after is to have the remote machines mount the shares when the server boots, and starts Samba, then it is not so easy. You could probably create a script that watches the Samba log files, and waits for the server to win the election, and then mounts the shares. But this will only work on machines running nmbd. There may be a better way, but I have never had to do it...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!