Hi Walt…

My problems were related (apparently) to the SuSE boot process and the fact that
my mother board has 4 USB 1.1 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports.  When I disabled the 4
USB 1.1 ports, the boot time would drop to 4 minutes.

The scanner would work for a user if you unplugged USB and then re-plugged it -
the scanner has no power button and, alas, the USB connection is on the back.

SuSE 9.0 could configure DualHead but the process was undocumented and following
normal protocols would fail the configuration.  It helped to have configured it
for SuSE 8.2 after upgrading xf86 (8.e did not support multiple monitors).

The hotplug problems were discussed in mail lists at hotplug projects at
sourceforge by SuSE developers at the time 9.0 was released.

After the long boot, SuSE 9.0 was ok except that it was very slow and (according
to xload) really demanded a lot from the os/cpu.  I don't know why.  Mandrake
10.0 is very much faster on my AMD workstation.

No one on the SuSE list complained about long boots.  Perhaps because during the
install SuSE would become unresponsive for long periods and they gave up at that
point.  After several attempts to install, I just let it run and the
installation succeeded.

Strangely enough, I upgraded from 8.2 to 9.0 originally and begin to get many
warning about configuration files being wrong, and also an extended boot time
(about three minutes, up from 1-2 minutes with 8.2).

Later, when GRUB started being unresponsive for a long time during boot, I
decided to go with a clean install to "fix" those annoyances, and that's when
all the problems began.

Larry Johnson, KeepItSimpleEngineering,Inc.