Bryan Phinney wrote:
I did read a bit about some of the hardware card based ones.  Looks
pretty neat actually and doesn't sit between the powersupply and the
UPS but instead hooks to the reset button on the motherboard.  Agent
runs on software and sends a signal to reset the timer, if the timer
counts down without a signal, it shorts the reset button and triggers
a reboot.

The prices so far look to be about $160 US which is not trivial for
me. However, I am definitely going to give it some thought as I would
dearly love to have one to stick in the server machine (even if it is
just my family server.)  Linux kernel has a built in module that will
see the card and setup a device for it and, I assume that setting the
timeout values are pretty trivial at that point, you just write a
value to the device.

Yes, the price is a bit much for a hobby system. I keep hoping to see one for sale at one of the surplus places... I keep meaning to play with the software version that is in the kernel source, but I keep getting distracted with other stuff... I have played with the one on the Sparc Station II. (I collect STRANGE hardware at times!)

Thanks much for the pointer but unfortunately, you just got put on my
wife's <people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire> list for
suggesting yet another reason for me to spend money on my computer.
Welcome to the club.  ;-}

I wish hers was the first list of that type I was put on... Oh well. At least I am not likely to run into her. :)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!