Greg Meyer wrote:
On Tuesday 03 August 2004 11:43 pm, Lanman wrote:

Greg Meyer wrote:

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 06:22 pm, Lanman wrote:

Has anyone heard of a Mandrake install causing a black-screen right at
the beginning of the install? I've been trying to install Mandrake 10.0
and 9.2 on an ECS K7VMM board with a Duron 650 CPU and 512MB of ram, and
right after I press the Enter button to start the install, the screen
goes black, and nothing else happens.

Just to make sure, I installed Fedora Core 2 without a single problem. I
thought I'd try it because it has a 2.6 kernel, and I was concerned that
the kernel was the problem. FC2 installed without a single problem -
Video and Monitor were properly detected by Anaconda, and all my
hardware was detected and set up without any grief at all.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I've tested the Ram and it's fine, and I've
checked and rechecked the BIOS which is also set properly.

Try starting the install kernel with "noapic nolapic" boot parameters.

Thanks Greg! That did the trick! First time in 8 or 9 years that this has been a problem for me! Who'd a thunk it, except you!

Mandrake is one of the few kernels that has apic enabled by default on UP kernels. I've run into this a bazillion times, so it is always the first thing I try when a machine won't boot, oir boots with certain hardware not working.

Greg; Go Figure! It's a first for me! But I won't forget it from now on!

Thanks again, Dude!

Lanman