I think it was from a real data recovery company, talking about the DOD standards.
Digging deep in my memory (ouch!) I think it is the residual charge in the bit can be
available for a long time, so formatting does not change it completely, the
overwriting it clears something and changes the charge in the bit, and doing it
multiple times is more secure. It was all interesting but slightly over my head so I
did not retain it all. Look at it like writing a number down on a piece of paper with
a pencil. Only after you rub it out until you destroy the paper do you eliminate the
number. If you rub it out normally you still have the imprint in the paper. Rub it out
and write over it and it becomes harder to work out the original figure. Do this
multiple times and you will not be able to see the original number. Obviously hard
drives don't damage the platter when formatting so it will always carry the original
charge for a lot of cycles, albeit reduced.

That was painful. I don't have to think that hard normally. Only an hour to go and
then bliss.

Tony.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
This message, and any associated attachment is confidential.  If you have received
it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information
in any way, and notify either the sender or [EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately.
The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not necessarily
the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless specifically stated.  Whilst every
effort has been made to ensure that emails and their attachments are virus free, it is
the responsibility of the recipient(s) to verify the integrity of such emails.
Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street
Stockport