On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:52:14 -0500
Chuck MATTSEN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm feeling even denser than usual today.  Could someone point
> me to a good, comprehensive site for all things SETI under Linux?  I
> know it's a CLI version, and there are various monitoring programs
> for it (including gkrellm, which is what I'd like to use), but I
> really need a site that gives me a step-by-step from start to
> finish, if there is one.  So far, I've not found anything that dumbs
> it down to the degree that I apparently need today.

Don't know about ALL things SETI but there is a good graphical interface
called TkSETI - http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~macdonal/tkseti/tkseti.html.  This
allows pausing, stopping and starting the setiathome client and displays
a history of your largest spikes, gaussians, triplets etc. and also gives
you an equatorial sky map showing all the regions you have processed and
the location of spikes etc. what have you.  Setiathome supplies xsetiathome,
which may be similar.  Presumably you have a link for that.  AFAIK you need
a setiathome directory under /home/user for the current workfiles and the
binary installed somewhere in your PATH.  Hope this isn't too patronizing.

While you are looking to use spare cpu cycles you might consider the protein
folding project at Stanford University, which has the probable advantage of
being more useful in the long run.  I think it was Joe Hill who originally
recommended that.  Will repost the link if you are interested.

--
Len Lawrence
The two things that can get you into trouble quicker than anything else