Todd Slater wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Mikkel. I looking for a way of getting auto-completion according to history. For instance, one types

ftp ftp.in.nowhere.com

and when, afterwards, one types

ftp ftp.i

the mechanism of auto-completion should write

ftp ftp.in.nowhere.com

for you.

Is it clear now?

Paul

Google is your friend.

The up arrow key will cycle through bash commands in history.

Contol+r start typing command will search bash history and autocomplete
for you.

See http://tinyurl.com/7xaxn which was found from
http://tinyurl.com/3sbp5.

Another of my favorites especially when I can't remember the command I typed a long time ago, goes something like this (assuming I want the command related to a keyword, and my memory is -- not surprisingly -- bad on the syntax):

$ history | grep keyword

Here are a couple of examples of output from that command:
190 keyword barney fred
201 keyword -v fred wilma

then if I want to run the second of those two commands that I previously ran, I can do so simply by typing:
$ !201

Hope this helps,
Clint