On Friday 13 Aug 2004 20:05, BJ Tracy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Slowly getting my office up and running on Linux.  Using Mandrake 10.0
> Power Pack.  MDK 10.0 is loaded and running well on my PC and laptop.  I
> have established LAN connections and can see three of the four computers in
> my office.  I can see the pc with XP on it.  However the other pc that has
> 98 (used for storage) on it, I cannot see.  I have set my linux machines to
> smb and nfs.  Is there something else I'm missing.  My router and hub are
> Linksys.
>
> Also, to move or copy files from one machine to another is there anything
> that I need to do as well, ie permissions or configuring routes,,,please
> advise.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> bj
>
> TGIF

Right. I have been in a similar situation. I have had trouble getting 98 to
access XP and for that I needed to create an ID on the XP machine matching
the login details of the 98 machine.

To access Linux > 98, Linux > XP, Linux > SME Web Server I've used
LinNeighborhood.

Unfortunatly my file server has gone off on other vital duties and my large
file space is on XP which is annoying me.  With your setup can your 98
machine access your Linux machine's SMB area for file storage :)

With the problem you've mentioned, can your XP machine see your 98 machine?

Can your Linux machine see your XP machine?

Are you using static IP or DHCP, what network parts have you got installed on
your 98 machine.

Cheers

Elwyn