On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:01:47 -0400
Lanman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Guy; Boot from the install CD, press F1 when you see the option, and at
>
>the command prompt, type "rescue". You'll see a new menu with an option
>
>to restore Lilo. It'll take about 2 seconds. Exit the menu with the
>reboot option and remove the CD from the drive. That should fix things
>nicely.

Lanman and Hoyt, thanks for the pointers, Linux is back.  I went the
rescue root, which installed lilo.  After booting up Linux, I tried
"grub-install /dev/hda", but it gave me some message like "unable to
detect BIOS drive for /dev/hda7".  /dev/hda7 is where my 9.2 Linux is
installed.  So I started up the GUI and did it through the Mandrake
control center.  That reset my menu.lst to a default, but fortunately I
was smart enough to back up my real one.  Any idea what the GUI is doing
differently from grub-install?

--
Guy Rouillier