On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 18:07, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Friday 20 August 2004 07:54 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > On Friday 20 August 2004 07:38 am, PM wrote:
> > > You are using the trial version. See http://www.linuxant.com/
> > >
> > > Send Linuxant some money (I think it's about USD 15)& they will give you
> > > a serial number to run at full speed.
> > >
> > > Basically, Conexant won't release the information & Linuxant have bought
> > > a license from them to sell drivers.
> >
> > If you are going to spend $15 for the Conexant driver anyway, you would be
> > much smarter to do a quick search at http://pricewatch.com for "external
> > 56k modem" and buy one of the external cendyne serial modems on sale for
> > about $18 or even less, including shipping.  Same price, better modem, no
> > driver issues and they work seamlessly under Linux.
>
> Bryan:
> That's excellent advice for those of us who only use desktop machines, but
> what is a laptop user supposed to do? Schlepping around an external modem and
> its associated wires and power wart would be a real pain.
> -- cmg

It's also excellent advice for those living in the U.S.

I don't use (e.g.) pricewatch because the bulk of US dealers won't post
overseas, and won't post to PO Boxes (the only option in many parts of
the world).

In addition, charges are a joke when you are buying from a company for
posting to outside the US. If I buy from an individual via ebay (for
example) the cost of postage is much more reasonable.

--
Paul
Linux number 312953