On Saturday 21 August 2004 09:47 am, Terence Golightly wrote:

> Recently, (I don't remeber the date I first saw them) I started
> receiving emails from mailer daemons and anti-spam and firewall
> software. I tink someone has hijacked my email addres.  I don't know
> where to turn.  I "looked" through verizon's site but they want me to
> download a winduz product the to get help from their helpdesk. No can or
> will do! And of course I can't find an email address on the site (they
> do a good job of hiding them).  So I am turning here.  What should I do
> next? I have kept most of the replies if anyone wants to look at them.

Spoofing From addresses is a common tactic of many of the current worms that
go around, and is also a common tactic of the spammers.

If you run your own domain and mail server, think about implementing Secure
Policy Framework, which, once it becomes a relatively widespread standard,
will prevent address spoofing.  Other than that, there is really nothing that
can be done, most people ignore the From on email these days since it is so
easily spoofed.
--
Bryan Phinney