for good help with usb epson scanners with linux go to
the epson website
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/index.html
there is everything you need to know how to get your scanner
working under linux inc "iscan"  linux version for download
which i use with my 1650 scanner now
im sure others on the list will be more than happy to tell you how to
keep everything "in house" as apposed to software.. but i like iscan
other software that also works well is "vuescan"
if .. you still need help... just shout .. but not too loud ;-)